US program for high school young Mexicans who wish to develop a project to benefit their locality
For the eighth time, the US Embassy in Mexico and the Secretariat of Public Education (SEP) are pleased to announce the call for the 2017 generation of Youth in Action . This program is aimed at freshmen and sophomore who wish to develop their leadership skills through the implementation of a project aimed at reducing social problems. The program includes scholarships that will be studied for four weeks in the United States during summer 2017.
Coincidentally, participants of the 2016 generation Youth in Action will be meeting in Monterrey on 11 and 12 January 2017.
or Applicants must be Mexican nationals studying the first or second year of high school
or Having an overall average of 8.5
or Have an intermediate level of English language
or For students enrolled in a private institution, they should check that they have an academic scholarship of at least 30%.
or Students interested in bidding for this scholarship must form teams of four to five participants from the same locality, as all members must meet regularly and team activities
or Each team must submit a project to address a community problem and focus on any of the following topics (below).
Topics for proposal
The priority themes for the projects to be developed by the contestants are:
- Access to healthy environments (water and sanitation) NEW TOPIC
- Creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship (development of environmental, social and economic sustentables- technological projects) NEW TOPIC
- Financial literacy NEW TOPIC
- Discrimination (social, racial, religious, political, sexual orientation or gender)
- Methodologies and technologies for learning English NEW TOPIC
- Prevention of substance abuse for health (alcoholism and drug addiction)
- Domestic violence (against men, against women, child abuse or elderly)
Details to compete
- Detailed to compete in this call instructions are available at: https://mx.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/25/2017/01/Convocatoria-Jovenes-en-Accion-2017.pdf
- The deadline for proposals is March 3, 2017
- The teams that are selected will be announced on April 28, 2017 on the website of the Embassy of the United States https://mx.usembassy.gov/es/educacion-y-cultura/
The evaluation committee selected by the teams must develop and implement their projects during the 2017-2018 school year, once the summer program concluded in the United States, so it is recommended that the projects presented must be viable and realistic.
Thanks to the co-sponsorship of private enterprise, over seven generations Embassy and SEP have managed to award scholarships to 553 young people from different states of the Mexican Republic. Some alumni have completed their college career, others are studying in the United States and many more continue to prepare in Mexico.
For more details, visit our website or write to firstname.lastname@example.org